Monday, March 19, 2007

Can the Law of Attraction Cure Baldness?

At the end of this past February, I joined the "debate" at The Secret Versus Science forums.

In case you aren't aware, that web site is a collaboration between Joe Vitale and Kevin Hogan.

(This is a picture of Joe and Kevin.)

The Secret Versus Science web site was promoted as a place to debate the efficacy and authenticity of The Secret.

So far, we've seen some excellent anti-Secret comments made by Kevin and others, but nothing yet from Joe.

NOTE: As I was writing this, I've learned that on Wednesday night, March 21st, Kevin Hogan will be conducting a FREE 90 minute live teleseminar about the lies behind the claims of The Secret. Kevin will be joined by guests Blair Warren, Dave Lakhani and Bob Beverley. To find out more about the teleseminar click here.

Many people have labeled The Secret Versus Science web site as nothing more than a publicity stunt. Kevin says it's Joe's idea and Joe's friend Craig Perrine says:

"I can also tell you that this 'dumbass stunt' of a forum, as you put it so boldly, was not Joe's creation as you suggest."

Someone is either fibbing, or maybe it IS just a promotional tactic. Perhaps someday somebody will actually claim responsibility for the site.

Ahh, the intrigue surrounding The Secret....

Anyway....when I first joined the forum I added the following statement to my signature section:

"If Joe Vitale is such a Master Manifestor, how come he's still bald?"

A few days later, I removed the statement and actually apologized for making it.

Yes, even us cruel, insensitive and merciless critics have feelings too (actually I think I was overly-sensitive that day due to a condition I call a Psychotic Mood Shift).

Even though the comment was removed, apparently I struck a sensitive chord with a few people. Craig Perrine, without making a direct reference to me, said:

"The 'enlightened' on this forum have substituted cheap shots like Joe's 'still being bald' for anything of real merit."

"I hope people who wade this far into the discussion will recognize that the side resorting to such sophomoric tactics probably isn't the one to take too seriously."

Then, as if by magic, I became a magnet. I began to attract others who were talking about baldness and The Secret.

On Blair Warren's Crooked Wisdom web site, one participant named Rex wrote:

"I would challenge Joe to fully grow his hair using only mind power. Considering the Universe is his catalog, and so many cases of miraculous cures being reported, this shouldn’t be such a far fetched project."

Over the weekend, I learned from Cosmic Connie that someone's husband had actually used the law of attraction to grow more hair!

And then came the biggest surprise...

I discovered that even the Master Manifestor himself -- Dr. Joe Vitale -- talked about being bald in a March 14th, 2007 blog post:

"Yesterday I heard that some of the attackers of The Secret are now personally attacking me.

One of their observations is that I'm bald, and so maybe the Law of Attraction doesn't really work.

I've never regarded being bald as a problem. If I did, I could attract all sorts of solutions to it, from toupees to plugs to hair transplants to whathaveyou. I'm simply not interested.

I'm surprised the persuasion experts are resorting to personal attacks, but maybe they're just jealous that they're not bald, too.

Bless their hairy little heads."

Wow, perhaps there is a shred of truth to all this law of attraction business!

It's good to see that Joe's got a sense of humor about the whole thing. And, in typical Joe "money-loves-speed" fashion -- I even noticed that he's put up a few Google AdSense ads about hair loss on his blog.

Ok, so maybe I'm not the one who attracted this whole bald thing, or maybe I am. Who knows. I don't care really.

But I will tell you this...

When I first made the bald comment on the The Secret Versus Science forums, I was dead serious.

Unfortunately, some people took my words at face value and got upset.

Was my statement a sophomoric tactic?

A cheap shot?

...Hardly.

I really want to know if The Secret's teachers believe they can re-grow hair using the law of attraction.

More specifically, I want to know what they think is and isn't possible when it comes to the law of attraction.

Because now, as I learn more about The Secret and the people who teach it, it appears the law of attraction doesn't apply in all circumstances. Apparently, some things are changeable and some things are not.

Grant it, hair loss is typically NOT a medical problem or a disease such as cancer, polio or AIDS. To most men and women who've experienced hair loss, it's simply a cosmetic thing.

Joe says he doesn't have a problem with being bald and neither do I. I actually find some bald men very attractive. And I'm certainly not the only woman who thinks some bald men are hot.


But regardless, the fact is there are millions of men and women who are traumatized by thinning hair and premature hair loss.

I have a younger brother who started losing his hair when he was 17 years old. I can tell you from experience that he was really bothered by it.

Let's keep in mind that it was Joe Vitale who said:

"This is really fun. It's like having the Universe as your catalog. You flip though it and say, 'I'd like to have this experience and I'd like to have that product and I'd like to have a person like that.' It is you placing your order with the Universe. It's really that easy."
As Rex from Blair Warren's web site correctly points out, 'many miracles are being reported'.

For example, Rhonda Byrne, in the Foreward to The Secret book writes:

"As the film swept the world, stories of miracles began to flood in: people wrote about healing from chronic pain, depression, and disease; walking for the first time after an accident; even recovering from a deathbed."

Dr John Hagelin, Quantum Physicist and teacher in The Secret states:

"Our body is really the product of our thoughts. We're beginning to understand in medical science the degree to which the nature of thoughts and emotions actually determines the physical substance and structure and function of our bodies."

Rhonda Byrne on page 131 of The Secret book again says:

"You can think your way to the perfect state of health, the perfect body, the perfect weight, and eternal youth. You can bring it into being, through your consistent thinking of perfection."

Michael Bernard Beckwith
, another Secret teacher, on page 134 of The Secret book explains:

"I've seen kidneys regenerated. I've seen cancer dissolved. I've seen eyesight improve and come back."

And let's not also forget that supporters of the law of attraction claim it's based on the scientific principles of quantum mechanics. They claim the brain emits vibrations which in turn affects and changes the physical world around us.

So if these statements are true, and we can be, have, or do anything we want, no exceptions, why is it so impossible to re-grow hair?

Notice how Joe Vitale says that if he thought baldness was a problem, he'd "attract" things like toupees, plugs, transplants and "whathaveyou."

Apparently, Joe doesn't think it's possible to re-grow hair using the law of attraction either. Instead, he talks about solutions anyone would pursue.

Perhaps Joe should read the forum thread I found from Cosmic Connie.

I also find it ironic that one of Joe's favorite lines is "Expect miracles." Maybe he needs to clarify what he thinks a miracle is.

All of this leads me to an interesting question...

Can we or can't we take The Secret and it's teachers at face value?

With so much Secret back-pedaling and clarifications made over the last few weeks, the answer now appears to be ...it depends.

It depends on the personal beliefs, opinions and life experiences of whomever is teaching The Secret.

On the one hand, we're told the law of attraction is a scientific law like gravity which works for everything and anything, all the time, without exception.

And on the other hand, we seem to be at the mercy of mere mortals who get to decide what is and isn't possible.

So next time you hear about someone using the law of attraction to cure cancer, find a job, attract a car, or get up off of their deathbed, ask yourself why Joe Vitale doesn't think it's possible to re-grow hair using the steps highlighted in The Secret.

-----------

"If drudgery is not found somewhere in a book or course, it isn't worth reading. Of all great works nine tenths must be drudgery." -- Russell Conwell

Calista McKnight
http://www.thesecretlie.com/

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I also seem to remember one of the promoters of the secrets(i think it was on Larry King, but i'm not sure.) tell an old lady that she could manifest herself to be 40 years younger... i wonder if that ever happened.
And don't feel bad about hurting Mr. Vitales feelings. I mean, he attracted your comment, right? And if he had anything that he was insecure about he would have manifested it away by now.

Calista McKnight said...

kevin said:

"I also seem to remember one of the promoters of the secrets(i think
it was on Larry King, but i'm not sure.) tell an old lady that she could manifest
herself to be 40 years younger... i wonder if that ever happened."


Wow! I missed that one.

I wonder if the law of attraction will work with PMS too.

If I could only get rid of those negative and violent thoughts...

Anonymous said...

LOL! Negative and violence thoughts, I know what you MEAN!

Last time i tried to manifest happy FEEL GOOD thoughts a quart of ben and jerrys chocolate ice cream mysteriously appeared in front of me.

I felt GREAT baby, GREAT!!!

Calista McKnight said...

LMFAO!

Thanks Valerie for the comic relief.

I know what you mean too!

Cosmic Connie said...

What I found amusing about Joe's post about baldness was his implication that the "attacks" on him (and "The Secret") were all as trivial as the hair issue. He seemed to be implying that none of the detractors could really find anything substantial to criticize about "The Secret," so they had to stoop to attacking Joe's appearance. And while he did accept the barbs about his baldness with gracious good humor, he has yet to address the other issues people have with him, beginning with those "doctorates" of which he seems so proud.

OTOH, I guess authenticity of degrees really doesn't matter all that much to the target market. A few years ago John Gray, another of the great master thinkers showcased in "The Secret," was confronted by Inside Edition about his "doctorate," which came from a school that was later closed due to being a diploma mill. Gray said, "I don't need to put Ph.D. by my name. I'm the most famous author in the world."

Meanwhile "Doctor" Joe is laughing all the way to his new mansion in California (if we are to believe his "Look at me, I'm rich!" blog, anyway).

Calista McKnight said...

cosmic connie said:

"Meanwhile "Doctor" Joe is laughing all the way to his new mansion in California (if we are to believe his "Look at me, I'm rich!" blog, anyway)."

Look at me, I'm Rich blog. That's exactly what it is!

Does this man not know how he comes across?

It seems to me that over the last few years Joe has transformed himself from marketing expert into de facto spiritual leader (whether he believes it or not).

And as with any spiritual leader, there will always be blind followers who will never challenge the leader's authority or authenticity.

With The Secret now bordering on cult status, I imagine Joe will add even more blind followers to his 'congregation.'

Cosmic Connie said...

If you read one of Joe's latest blog posts, you will understand that everything he is doing is for the service of humanity. He is busy creating products to enrich the masses, while his critics are merely working on tearing things down. In fact, Mr. Fire is not only the Buddha of the Internet, and the Charles Atlas of the Internet; he is now the Gandhi of the Internet!

Oh, Calista, we have been so wrong about him... :-)

Calista McKnight said...

cosmic connie said:

"Oh, Calista, we have been so wrong about him... :-)"

LOL! Yeah, and I really love The Secret too.

I got the exact same impression as you when I read his "LOOK AT ME, I ONLY FLY FIRST CLASS" blog the other day.

Call me crazy, but I think Joe's still poking at the critics with his 'what are you doing for humanity' shpiel.

Joe's no dummy. He now realizes he's under intense scrutiny.

I personally find his recent comments a little more measured and restrained. I think he's mulling over the content of his emails and blog posts a bit more than usual.

Calista McKnight said...

By the way, Joe's buddy Pat O'Bryan stopped by the other day to tell me I misread his blog post (see the Misfits of Science - The Real Blasphemy post).

I'm still waiting for a clarification.

Ironically, he disregarded his own advice of ignoring the critics.

Anonymous said...

How it works to affect physics

Actually the author and person involved became rich and in this case it attracts easily money. But writing is one of the few cases in which u can really easy make money with the "secret". They follow just the needs of readers who wants to hear that all lays in there hands and spread hope. it is but with some great restrictions. if u want to change physical things u have to be in a advanced level subconsciously always keep practising the law. You wanna know why? - the body is affected by the hormon system and the hormon system is influenced by the mood you are in INSTANTLY. for example if u are angry u produce other hormons than if u are in love. hair loss is caused by (sexual)hormons and their derivats. u can change it. the mood u should be searching for is hard to find. trial & Error works (looking at the results). just be disciplined. remember there are other laws which limit the law of attraction. there would be really alot to tell about this but .. the time ....